Currently, tBTC minting is limited to the Threshold Dashboard, restricting its accessibility to a broader audience. Additionally, users tend to engage more with processes on platforms they are already familiar with. By integrating the tBTC minting process into Taho, a well-known community-owned web3 wallet, we can not only capitalize on existing user familiarity but also significantly broaden the accessibility of tBTC minting, promoting its wider adoption in the crypto community.
Our specific plan involves prioritizing design work and incorporating the tBTC SDK, which will be the first of its kind in an external product, thereby battle-testing the SDK. By capitalizing on Taho’s established trust with its users, we aim to transition a notable segment to the Threshold platform, simplifying the minting process and bridging the technical divide. Taho currently has over 100,000 monthly active users, with a recent survey indicating that 80% of these users are actively engaged in DeFi activities.
We are requesting $189,000 over the duration of 5-6 months to achieve the following key milestones:
Milestone 1 - Complete UX/UI Design of tBTC minting in Taho
Milestone 2 - Prototype SDK integration, Test SDK & Doc Improvement
Milestone 3 - Integrate tBTC Minting in Taho
All work produced during this project will be open source, allowing other wallets and developers to access and build upon our contributions.
About Thesis: Thesis is a crypto venture studio behind Taho, Fold, tBTC, and Keep, a key contributor to Threshold. In the Bitcoin and Ethereum ecosystems, we built tBTC — tokenizing BTC for use across DeFi with threshold cryptography. The Keep team has already built a tBTC SDK (v2 released Oct 18) to streamline and propel the process of tBTC minting.
About Taho: Taho is the first and only community-owned wallet, an alternative to MetaMask. Taho’s current traction:
100K+ MAU for November (86K MAU in October)
The teams at Taho and Keep will collaborate to ensure the first-ever integration of the tBTC SDK is successful and paves the way for future integrations. The Taho team will be engaging with the Keep team in the same manner as we would with any external team. For this project, this entails submitting PRs and raising queries around the SDK when necessary. However, it’s important to note that our work on this project operates independently of the Keep team’s direct involvement.
Taho Project Links
Keep Project Links:
The focus of this project is to design and embed a bridge within the Taho wallet, facilitating the direct minting of tBTC. In its initial phase, this integration will prioritize design work and the integration of the tBTC SDK (the Keep team has already released a new and improved version of the SDK). This will mark the first integration of the tBTC SDK into an external product, serving to battle-prove the SDK. tBTC holders will be provided with information on where they can utilize their assets, such as access to stablecoin infrastructure like crvUSD or thUSD.
As more individuals understand and trust tBTC through Taho’s seamless integration, the long-term vision is to foster a more inclusive, educated, and decentralized financial ecosystem by reducing barriers and enhancing adoption.
Threshold DAO’s mission in fostering blockchain interoperability and their vested interest in the success and adoption of tBTC make them a natural partner to support this proposed project.
Note: While we are currently focused on other key developments, including the tBTC minting integration, we are actively exploring the best approaches for Bitcoin wallet integration. It’s not just on our roadmap, but it’s a significant part of our vision for the future.
Our proposed project will have the following expected outcomes:
- Increased adoption of and trust in tBTC and growth in overall tBTC mints
- Increased user awareness and engagement for tBTC minting activities on the Threshold Network
*Boost in defi participation
- Increased tBTC liquidity in DeFi
- Strengthened cross-chain interoperability
- & Growing trend of platforms choosing to support or integrate tBTC because of its functionality and ease of use
- Deliverable 1: Perform user research to inform design & early functionality
- Deliverable 2: Develop figma mockup for the tBTC minting process in Taho
- Deliverable 3: Gather user feedback on the designs
- Deliverable 4: Iterate on designs based on user feedback
- User Testing Participants: # of feedback participants on the Figma mockups.
- Task Completion Rate: In usability testing, % of users able to complete a mock tBTC minting task (e.g., navigating through the mockup process) without significant difficulties or barriers.
Timeline: 1-2 months
As this is the first external integration, we will work collaboratively with the Keep team toward addressing critical issues and enhancing the SDK documentation .
- Deliverable 1: Develop an early prototype to identify any gaps in the SDK’s functionalities
- Deliverable 2: Development of functionality identified in the gap analysis required for the integration of the SDK (may not be required as we don’t expect the SDK to have any blockers impacting the integration)
- Deliverable 3: Conduct tests based on project-specific requirements* and provide suggestions for documentation and guide improvements based on our findings. (*Note: that the SDK will already have gone through vigorous QA & Testing by the Keep team)
- Do updated docs reflect changes for external implementation? yes/no
- Working prototype integration demonstrating functionality and compatibility
Timeline: 1 month
Implement QR Code Bitcoin transfer in Taho and enable tBTC minting within the Taho wallet
- Deliverable 1: Integrate the QR code functionality
- Deliverable 2: Implement UI design within Taho to display the QR code for Bitcoin transfers
- Deliverable 3: Implement SDK integration as demonstrated in the prototype for Milestone 2 which will include the following core functionalities: Integration of tBTC Smart Contracts, Bitcoin Deposit Mechanism, Reveal Deposits to the Ethereum chain
- Deliverable 4: Implement designs for tBTC minting from Milestone 1
- Deliverable 5: QA & test results document detailing the outcomes of the minting process tests (bugs and their fixes)
- Deliverable 6: Develop and publish instructions and guides for tBTC minting in Taho
tBTC Minting Success Rate:
- % of successful tBTC mints in the first month post-release
UI Usability and Satisfaction:
- User feedback scores on the tBTC minting interface’s ease of use.
- Number of user support tickets or queries related to the minting process.
Timeline: 2-3 Months
Our budget is structured around specific milestones, denominated in USD because our costs and liabilities are in USD. We ask to either A) be paid an amount of T that corresponds to the USD value of the milestone at the time of each payment, or B) that the Integrations Guild allocate the amount of T necessary to cover the entirety of the USD denominated budget and immediately swap it into USD or USDC and hold in escrow, to be released upon completion of each milestone.