GP-015 Reduce the Number of Seats on the Treasury Guild from 9 to 7

Proposal
The Treasury Guild proposes that the number of Treasury Guild committee seats be changed from 9 to 7.

Background
The Treasury Guild was initially formed by the DAO with nine committee members. During the recent election, there were seven qualified nominees elected. The Treasury Guild feels that seven members is both a sufficient and more optimal number for operations. Rather than create a runoff election to fill the remaining two seats, the Treasury Guild proposes to modify the number of Treasury Guild committee seats from nine to seven.

This proposal would reduce the number of signatories on the Threshold multisig from 9 to 7 and reduce the threshold required to sign as well from 5 to 4.

Timeline
Aug. 24 to Aug. 30 - Discussion Period
Aug. 31 to Sep. 4 - Snapshot Voting Period (contingent on above)
Sep. 5 - Implement Changes (contingent on above)

6 Likes

Proposal code GP-015.

1 Like

I support this proposal

3 Likes

I support this proposal. I think the number of seats across the 1st Guilds generation was arbitrary based on who was around and volunteered back at the day, but not for any objective reason. I think the runoff election is fine as long as a Guild Committee thinks that they need more members and they didn’t fill all the seats.

2 Likes

In the current process of evaluating a list of roles for each of the Treasury Guild Committee members, it doesn’t seem that there are 9 roles to fill, so reducing the committee size makes sense. If, while evaluating possible roles, it came to light that there were more roles to fill, then a run-off election would make sense.

As it stands now, reducing the number of Treasury Guild Committee members to 7 makes sense to me.

3 Likes

I am in support of this proposal.

2 Likes

Proposal moved to Snapshot: https://snapshot.org/#/threshold.eth/proposal/0x1de7dde9f0a366d0074ae0c61f3221b2d53b3256528221106b224c4093e68b33

Is there a problem with keeping 5 as the threshold?
with 7 members, who should all be engaged, 5 controlling the purse doesn’t seem onerous.

1 Like

I am in agreement with blitmore, and would also like to better understand the reasoning behind reducing this threshold.

That aside, It makes sense to me to reduce the number of seats - as Threshold continues to grow and learn, we adapt to the current needs of the DAO - Now that we are more organized and structured, I see no need for 9 members of the committee.

Should the Treasury Guild Committee determine that they need additional labor, I would propose that they work to locate existing talent within the DAO that can offer assistance and be compensated for that work without necessitating a committee seat.

I high threshold relative to the number of signers can become problematic if several people are travelling / on holiday / at a conference / sick.

Treasury activities involve a lot of time-sensitive operations, like swaps or incentives, that have to be executed within often reduced windows. Reaching the threshold number can be slow sometimes, particularly when you take into consideration different timezones (current committee has members in 3 different continents). We believe 4 is a sensible choice from an operational point of view, while still being secure.

Having said that, although the proposal asks for a threshold of 4, the current committee has agreed to set a threshold of 5 for the time being, and only reduce it to 4 in case we need it, but we wanted to be sure the DAO agrees to this as well.

1 Like

Thanks Ben, David for your responses. I am aware of the problems around assembling a quorum to get work done in time. I have no problem voting to reduce seats on this committee. I would prefer the multisig to threshold remain at 5.

This proposal was passed September 2022.

In November 2022, one our committee members resigned its seat. To fill this position, three new candidates stepped forward and announced their desire to contribute to the TG, being active reputable committee members at other guilds.

In a TG call with a wide audience and a high number of DAO stakeholders, the TG voted the replacement of the vacated seat, but taking advantage of the new volunteers at hand, it was also decided to re-increase the number of seats to 9 positions, taking a discord vote instead of a snapshot vote.

From November 2022, then the TG has 9 seats again. The TG multisig threshold is now 5/9.

1 Like

Thanks for updating this for the record, @Luna5. I believe you meant to say “from November 2022” the TG has had 9 seats again.

1 Like

Absolutely right, thanks for catching the typo @JohnPackel !

1 Like