Token holder DAO Snapshot with a 5-day vote period
- 7 days for comment/discussion on this proposal
- Token holder DAO Snapshot with a 5-day vote period
This proposal calls for Threshold to upgrade its marketing capability by making 3 structural changes: hire a senior marketing lead, ask the Keep and NuCypher teams to each contribute 5 hours per week to oversight, alignment and updates, and re-focus the current marketing lead role on executing social media and content
Threshold’s Marketing Guild has gone through several iterations since its founding 2 years ago. In April 2023 the DAO approved TIP-49 to restructure the committee, and then TIP-50 in May, which created the DAO’s Marketing Lead role.
It was evident to several of us at the time that a single resource working 30 hours per week would be challenged to not only execute on all the deliverables outlined but also field new requests from the DAO and contributor teams (Keep, NuCypher and those working on thUSD), plus work to maintain communication and alignment with those teams and the guilds.
In terms of developing Threshold marketing strategy and priorities, the 6-month plan Ashley and John created and posted in response to Forum responses requesting clarity on the role’s deliverables included 3 top goals (“Expanded tBTC awareness enabling growth”, “Successful launches of thUSD and Threshold Access Control”, “Compelling, clear & unified Threshold brand presence, messaging & content”), as well as a need to, “Source & review proposals from marketing/communications professionals for content, SEO, and other marketing opportunities”.
The latter proved difficult to achieve, but even if we had more outsourced contributors there would still be a need today for a senior marketing professional to conduct a fresh review of current priorities, activities and impact in order to develop and implement an overall marketing strategy and execution plan based on where Threshold is in 2024 and where we need to go.
We propose that Threshold upgrade its marketing capability by making 3 structural changes:
1. Source a senior marketing lead (contractor ~25 hours/week) via a formal search process
We need a dynamic, leadership-oriented, crypto-native contractor to effectively create and guide the DAO’s marketing strategy, as well as lead cross-functional work streams in alignment with stakeholders. This requires a significant level of experience and track record in various aspects of marketing and growth, including product and digital marketing, acquisition, activation, and retention. The expectations associated with such a senior position are understandably high, especially considering the scope of responsibilities and the impact on the DAO’s success (see recruitment outlined in the Proposed Process section below):
- Defining, activating and engaging high value communities with Threshold Network. This includes finding high-ROI places to drive awareness and establish long lasting relationships with those communities
- Strategic thinking and planning, to provide a deeper understanding of audience engagement and interaction
- Measurement and data-driven impact assessments based on who our audiences are, what goals each piece of content aims to achieve, and how to measure and capture further engagement
- Clear ROI-based initiatives (including sourcing outside expertise and execution as needed) that demonstrate the value of our efforts and spend, as well as provide valuable insights for future planning
- Alignment with overall product roadmap and goals, reflecting product development stages and marketing goals that includes distribution, content and social media strategies
- Defining content calendar, writing content pieces or outsourcing when required
- Stakeholder management and leading cross-functional work streams via strong project management and operations skills
- Experience with brand marketing and partnerships, weaving together multifaceted campaigns, as well as crisis communications
It is critical that this person be willing, able and eager to execute some of the required tasks on their own, both because we need more “doers” and because Threshold has many expenses and demands continue to grow. Recommended compensation: DAO standard $85/hr.
2. Ask the Keep and NuCypher teams to each contribute 5 hours per week for strategic oversight, alignment and product updates
While we have tried various forms of weekly marketing sessions that included Keep and NuCypher representatives in managing priorities/progress, content/messaging, DAO alignment, etc., we need to establish a consistent cadence of input on priorities, updates on product strategy and development, as well as feedback on messaging and other product marketing efforts. While a major focus of the meeting(s) and input would initially be on sourcing and evaluating candidates for the senior marketing contractor, once that person is in role this can shift to helping them get up to speed and providing inputs as they develop the strategy and updated tactics. After that, the ongoing weekly contribution can settle into providing product updates and insights, giving input on priorities and messaging.
3. Re-focus Ashley’s role on executing social media and content
Threshold needs a lot more focus on social media and content than one person is able to provide while doing as many other things as we’ve tasked Ashley within her current role. “Crypto Twitter” is a critical vehicle for awareness, and ideally we’d have a full-time role focused on social media. By bringing in a senior contractor to provide the services described above, we can allow Ashley to focus exclusively on social media messaging and content creation - based on the strategy to be developed and with ongoing input from Keep and NuCypher.
Upon posting this proposal, commence weekly meeting with representatives from Keep and NuCypher, plus Ashley and John, to discuss the new role recruitment process, align on interim priorities for Ashley’s current focus and address marketing-related issues that arise (then oversee the selection process, assuming approval)
Recruitment process that thoroughly assesses the necessary skills and experience (we propose that Gorkem be the point person managing this process):
- Write role description and post as reply to this Forum post
- Align on screening and interview questions - to be used by all, for consistency
- Initial screening call with a defined person
- Interview with the Keep, NuCypher and DAO representatives
- Session for candidate to present their case study (open to the DAO)
- Assess cultural fit with the extensive DAO
- Marketing Guild Committee makes offer and we prepare onboarding
- Commence weekly meeting immediately
- Align on role description within 3 days, post it and solicit candidates
- Post this proposal to Snapshot in 7 days
- Begin interview process once Snapshot quorum reached (unless significant votes against)
- Aim to have candidate selected by Feb. 20th so that person can attend ETH Denver and meet stakeholders in person