TIP 52: Contractor role for DAO Growth Coordinator

Vote Type

Token holder DAO Snapshot with a 7-day vote period.

DAO-elected Sponsors

@ben @JohnPackel @Eastban @Vict0r

Timeline

• 7 days for comment / discussion on this proposal
  • Token holder DAO Snapshot with a 7-day vote period

Purpose

This proposal is a request to the Threshold DAO to fund a Growth Coordinator role for the purpose of growing the adoption of Threshold projects.

This proposal recommends Sap as the candidate for this role. Sap’s current roles on the Integrations Guild and Treasury Guild uniquely position them at the core intersection of Threshold Growth - ecosystem relationships and DAO finances.

The purpose of this proposal is not to replace current initiatives of the community, rather, to augment and support them.

Motivation

With the successful launch of tBTC, and the upcoming launch of the thUSD and TACo products, the timing has never been better to grow tBTC usability and adoption.

For this reason, a concerted business development effort has never been more appropriate.

The intention of this role is to increase DAO bandwidth in the following areas:

1. Liquidity Strategy

The DAO has recently massively increased the number of tBTC pools across multiple DEXs on EVM L2s, with Solana and Base to follow shortly. In addition, the T token itself is required on L2s in order to incentivize key pools.

thUSD is approaching launch, at which point a similar strategy will be required.

The deployment, management of associated relationships, liquidity incentivization and performance reporting for the numerous pools require significant attention and coordination.

2. Ecosystem Integrations
Diverse use cases for tBTC and Threshold products are required to drive adoption, although relationship development takes time. Currently, the attention of the Integrations Guild is divided between essential DAO operational tasks and outreach, and would benefit from a dedicated position to manage relationships.

3. Documentation and UX

As we scale and our product user base grows, documentation related to tBTC use cases and deployment options becomes increasingly important. Those involved on the front line of protocol integrations are well positioned to create documentation of this nature and to participate in DAO efforts to deploy UX improvements, such as a tBTC use cases dashboard.

Scope

The scope of this role will be a 30-hour/week Growth Lead role at Threshold DAO, remunerated at the DAO’s contractor rate of $85/h.

The position will have the following responsibilities:

Liquidity Strategy

• Manage tBTC pool and incentives deployment across new chains.
  • Collaborate with DEX launch partners.
  • Deploy, monitor and report liquidity incentives and performance.
  • Manage T token deployment across multiple chains.
  • Establish an incentives budget and ratify it with the Treasury Guild.
  • Assist DAO decision-making to deploy pools and POL.
  • Develop and deploy a thUSD liquidity strategy.

Ecosystem Integrations

• Create new relationships and opportunities for the Threshold product suite.
  • Lead protocol onboarding of Threshold products.
  • Coordinate with the Marketing Guild to amplify and promote new integrations.
  • Manage and maintain ecosystem relationships.
  • Write outbound governance proposals for key tBTC integrations.
  • Sponsor and support interested protocols to seek partnerships via the forum.
  • Collaborate with the Marketing Guild to amplify integration efforts.

Documentation and UX

• Collect and maintain a list of live tBTC integrations and pools.
  • Write documentation to collate key DAO metadata, integrations and pools.
  • Support DAO UX improvement initiatives, such as tBTC integration’s public dashboard.
  • Update and maintain tBTC, thUSD and T token registries and lists.

Oversight & Review

The Growth Coordinator role will operate under the oversight of the Threshold Treasury Guild (TTG). The position and performance will be reviewed on a quarterly basis by the TTG, upon delivery of a self-evaluation to the committee.

KPIs

It was determined that volume-based KPI metrics don’t necessarily align to ideal DAO outcomes. Quality relationships are preferred over a quantity of low-value relationships, and governance cycles differ from protocol to protocol.

Therefore, the performance of this position will be determined based on committee review of a self reported quarterly summary of work achieved, based on the scope listed above.

Key areas of assessment will be:

• Successful deployment of tBTC liquidity across new chains.
  • Successful bridging of T token to new chains.
  • Successful deployment of T incentives to key pools.
  • Weekly liquidity and incentives performance reporting to Threshold Treasury Guild.
  • Proactive, quality, relationship development.
  • Ongoing relationship and integration management with DAO partners.
  • Coordination between DAO guilds and other growth initiatives.

Recommendation

We recommend that Threshold DAO contract with Sap for a 6-month renewable period working 30 hours/week at a rate of $85 USD per hour.

Sap will waive their current compensation for the Integrations Guild and Treasury Guild but will maintain their seat on both committees.

Why Sap

Sap has demonstrated the required motivation, capacity and experience to deliver excellent results in this role, as demonstrated by the development of the L2 liquidity and incentives strategy.

Sap actively participates in the Threshold community, operations and governance and is a trusted member of the DAO.

Sap has several years’ experience in project management and business development from their time in the industry. Furthermore, Sap’s DeFi expertise lends sufficient technical literacy to communicate clearly with potential partners.

Sap has soft skills, such as communication, project management, and creative problem-solving, that allow them to work independently and effectively.

Sap is an active contributor to Threshold and has thus far contributed the following to Threshold DAO:

• Elected member of Threshold Council.
  • Elected member of Threshold Treasury Guild.
  • Elected member of Threshold Integrations Guild.
  • Delivered FY22 Threshold DAO financial reconciliation and reporting.
  • Manages current liquidity incentives deployment.
  • Reports on tBTC liquidity growth.
  • Coordinated liquidity strategy between Treasury Guild and ecosystem partners.
  • Successfully launched tBTC incentives on Balancer and Curve on Optimism and Arbitrum.
  • Assisted liquidity deployment and incentivisation of DEXs such as Velodrome, Chronos, KyberSwap and QuickSwap.
  • Responsible for Beefy finance integration.
  • Participated in integrations such as Arrakis, Gamma and Harvest.
  • Threshold Guardian.
16 Likes

I fully support Sap taking on this role. Sap has proven to be a knowledgeable member of the community and this role is very necessary as we continue to power through the tbtc role out.

7 Likes

Over the past few months, I have had the pleasure of working very closely with sap on the Integration Guild, primarily tasked with integrating tBTC across multiple protocols and chains.

I fully support sap in this proposal, primarily for the reason that we need more hours dedicated to integrations for Threshold Network’s product’s and having sap in a more full-time role would definitely alleviate a lot of these pressures.

Secondly, given the experience I have in working with sap, I know he will be able to add significant value in this role. He is already clocking in an extended amount of time above his allotted hours, he is heavily experienced in liquidity management with tBTC (which will be most valued for thUSD) and he has won many so many integrations for tBTC.

Having sap work more hours for Threshold Network is definitely a victory for the DAO.

8 Likes

I fully support Sap taking on this role!

7 Likes

Excited for SAP taking on this position !
He’s been super engaged and helpful with setting up all that liquidity pools and incentives these past several months.
In our work together i can vouche that he is also a very affable, enthusiastic and empathetic person that makes his contributions to the growth of partnerships invaluable.

4 Likes

Also excited to see this proposal @sap!

I think self-assessments are the right way to manage performance here, considering the unknowns of the role… but for clarity, I would still like to see a North Star KPI we are all trying to grow for tBTC.

I believe that’s tBTC minted right now — do you agree?

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind words of support everyone.

I agree with you Matt, tBTC minted is the North Star.

I would roughly prioritise other tBTC KPIs as:

1. tBTC minted
  2. tBTC liquidity and volume
  3. tBTC use cases

3 depends on 2, which depends on 1, to some extent.

5 Likes

I strongly support both the creation of this role and @sap as the choice to execute it. There are a number of reasons to support this, but I’ll also note that it’s a very good signal of Threshold’s increasing alignment that @blockchainbri fully supports it (obviously it’s really important that the new role works in conjunction with Brian’s).

Sap has been a very strong contributor to Threshold, and I’ve worked closely with him on the Treasury Guild since November. We’re fortunate that highly capable contributors like him are willing and able to step up with additional time and expertise. Thanks for outlining so clearly the need and your approach, sap.

One point I’d like to raise for discussion is the offer to waive compensation for committee work with TG and IG. I presume the rationale is that the expanded hours will cover both the ongoing committee work, as well as the expanded responsibilities outlined, which makes sense. However, I see a benefit to the DAO continuing to compensate TG committee members for their/our expertise and important oversight role, and combining the hours spent on committee and expanded role could make it more difficult to maintain clarity for tracking budget as well as roles/responsibilities. Particularly if/when we have more of these expanded roles (and I know of at least one more being prepared for DAO consideration).

John

7 Likes

I’m confident we’ll have continued discussion on committee compensation, so it’s time to move this role to Snapshot as is: Snapshot

I have voted yes.

4 Likes

Fully support Sap for this Role! He has been very involved in many decisions and actions related to Growth already, so he is very well positioned to expand his reach.

4 Likes

Snapshot passed (709M in favor, zero opposed). Congratulations, @sap - and Threshold DAO on this important commitment.

https://snapshot.org/#/threshold.eth/proposal/0xa549463497a27234198d83c5e258b9297fa6c05f42eb885abdaf02ccb79bf585

3 Likes

This proposal has been recorded in our Notion proposals database, for reference.

I also want to extend my heartfelt congratulations and unwavering support to sap. It’s truly a pleasure to collaborate with such a dedicated and proficient contributor, and I am excited about the prospect of working together to achieve our shared goals.

5 Likes

Thank you Luna, your kind words are greatly appreciated! I am thrilled to have been voted in, and I look forward to continued growth with this awesome community.

4 Likes

Updated payment address: 0xF37D90763D11336D4A6698a532368F2B91E6a81A

Hi, I was wondering, it is months later, are there any reports to show hows this has played out? KPI wise. It seems like this is just an ongoing role, so wondered how it is measured.

2 Likes

Hi @BakuDem, I agree, I am due for a review! The KPIs are reasonably general, as is the nature of the work I have been doing, so I don’t think there will be meaningful numbers to evaluate. However, a peer review from members of the committees will be helpful, and I can also write a summary of the projects I have lead and work I have done.

1 Like

Appreciate the spirit and answer!

As someone who has worked for DAOs and also has written reports to account for it, I will be the first to say it should not be a report for the sake of the report kind of thing.

Some kind of evaluation and process sharing is valuable though, it usually brings things into perspective and also can help finding out which areas could use more focus.

3 Likes